Monday, November 10, 2008
Larwyn's Link Kerplosion: Bill Ayers cries to the press
• Carolina Journal: Dems Target Private Retirement Accounts: "Democrats in the U.S. House have been conducting hearings on proposals to confiscate workers’ personal retirement accounts — including 401(k)s and IRAs — and convert them to accounts managed by the Social Security Administration."
• NRO: Mark Steyn: "[I disagree with] conservatives who think the Obama-Pelosi-Reid-Frank liberal behemoth will so obviously screw up that they'll be routed in two or four years' time. The President-elect's so-called “tax cut” will absolve 48 per cent of Americans from paying any federal income tax at all, while those that are left will pay more. Just under half the population will be, as Daniel Henninger pointed out in the Wall Street Journal, on the dole. By 2012, it will be more than half, and this will be an electorate where the majority of the electorate will be able to vote itself more lollipops from the minority of their compatriots still dumb enough to prioritize self-reliance, dynamism, and innovation over the sedating cocoon of the nanny state. That is the death of the American idea — which, after all, began as an economic argument: “No taxation without representation" is a great rallying cry. 'No representation without taxation' has less mass appeal. For how do you tell an electorate living high off the entitlement hog that it's unsustainable and you've got to give some of it back?"
• The Real Revo: Spreading the Wealth at Plymouth Plantation. Just because it hasn't worked in half a millenium doesn't mean it can't work now! Hope! And Change!
• Guardian (UK): Mini nuclear plants to power 20,000 homes: "Nuclear power plants smaller than a garden shed and able to power 20,000 homes will be on sale within five years, say scientists at Los Alamos, the US government laboratory... The miniature reactors will be factory-sealed, contain no weapons-grade material, have no moving parts and will be nearly impossible to steal because they will be encased in concrete and buried underground... The US government has licensed the technology to Hyperion, a New Mexico-based company which said last week that it has taken its first firm orders and plans to start mass production within five years." How come I always have to read the really interesting news in foreign papers?
• Powerline: Secede from the mainstream media.
• The Star: Bill Ayers says he's been the target of a "terrorist attack". Chutzpah.