Far be it from me to accuse anyone, especially experts with the very highest credibility -- like Jim Cramer -- of untoward behavior, but the following graphs certainly make you sit up and take notice.
First, here are the dates of some of Mr. Cramer's key recommendations (both buy and sell) for First Solar (FSLR), one of his favorite stocks in 2008 and 2009*.
Here is the performance of GLD (the exchange traded fund roughly representing the price of gold) versus First Solar over the same period:
When it comes to any so-called "expert" who claims they can help you time the market, remember the ancient advice: caveat emptor.
• On March 7, 2008, Jim Cramer issued a strong recommendation to buy First Solar (FSLR).
• On April 3, 2008, Cramer's Mad Money said FSLR "Is Hot" and issued another buy recommendation.
• On May 8, 2009, Cramer listed FSLR as a Buy!
• On June 1, 2009, Cramer said, "First Solar (FSLR) remains the only solar play that I want as oil goes higher."
• On May 20, 2010, Cramer listed FSLR as a "Sell".
• On November 16, 2010, Cramer again listed FSLR as a "Sell".