Are you free, woman? Take this fun, easy quiz!
Picture credit: http://www.amitiesquebec-israel.org
The crew at Pow3rline points us to this exceptional shredding of Erica Jong at, of all places, the Huffington Post.
|...I've never understood why women’s groups weren't out front cheering the wars against the Taliban in Afghanistan and Saddam Hussein's Iraq. Were there ever more feminist wars than these? You'd think the National Organization for Women would be egging the administration on to Saudi Arabia and Iran. But no, and for the same reason that organized feminists have refused to applaud George Bush’s historic appointments of women to positions of high office, including most recently his nomination of two women, one of them black, to appellate judgeships. Bush is a Republican. The organized feminists are Democrats. It's as simple as that.|
Still, I wouldn’t think the feminist worldview could be quite SO simple as to equate the oppression of women who live under repressive and murderous regimes in the Islamic world with the condition of women in the United States. For HP bloggers and readers who have trouble telling the difference, I’ve prepared the following quiz:
1. Are you allowed to drive a car? Y/N
2. Must you be accompanied at all times in public by a male escort? Y/N
3. If you were to say "what the hell" and drive to the mall by yourself, would you be immediately surrounded by bat-wielding male police officers? Y/N
4. Could you be beaten for saying “what the hell”? Y/N
5. When you go outside on a hot summer day, can you wear shorts and a t-shirt? Y/N ...
As Frontpage Magazine points out, stoning a woman to death in Iran is not illegal; but using the wrong-sized stone is.
It should go without saying - read both articles.
Danielle Crittenden: Are you free, woman? Take this fun, easy quiz!
Banafsheh Zand-Bonazzi: Tehran's Killing Fields