Monday, October 30, 2006

George Soros was only following orders


Sweetness & Light and Thomas Lifson documented the chilling 60 Minutes interview with financier George Soros. Soros -- who donated around $25 million to various efforts to defeat President Bush in 2004 -- survived the Holocaust as a 14-year old. He did so using the only means available: forged papers, which attested that he was the Christian godson of a government official.

While hundreds of thousands of Hungarian Jews were being shipped off to death camps, Soros assisted his faux godfather with official duties, including confiscating property from the Jews.

The 60 Minutes interview went something like this (and this segment is based upon the transcript provided by Sweetness & Light ).


And you watched lots of people get shipped off to the death camps.


Right. I was 14 years old. And I would say that that's when my character was made...


...My understanding is that you went out with this protector of yours who swore that you were his adopted godson.


Yes. Yes.


Went out, in fact, and helped in the confiscation of property from the Jews.


Yes. That’s right. Yes.


I mean, that’s—that sounds like an experience that would send lots of people to the psychiatric couch for many, many years. Was it difficult?


Not-not at all. Not at all. Maybe as a child you don’t - you don’t see the connection. But it created no-no problem at all.


No feeling of guilt?


No.


For example that, ‘I’m Jewish and here I am, watching these people go. I could just as easily be there. I should be there.’ None of that?


Well, of course I c-I could be on the other side or I could be the one from whom the thing is being taken away. But there was no sense that I shouldn’t be there, because that was-well, actually, in a funny way, it’s just like in markets- that if I weren’t there- of course, I wasn’t doing it, but somebody else would-would-would be taking it away anyhow. And it was the-whether I was there or not, I was only a spectator, the property was being taken away. So the-I had no role in taking away that property. So I had no sense of guilt.

* * *

No sense of guilt? Soros could have said, "I was just following orders." It probably would have sounded better.

And Soros' contributions to Democrats are of such an unimaginable scale, it would be hard to argue that he is not one of their key thought leaders: in gun control, the war on terror, etc.

* * *


What?


You feel guilty taking money from Soros?


What, that $23 million?


No feeling of guilt, taking Soros' money in an ultimately disastrous attempt to elect John Kerry?


No. Plus, there's plenty of precedent.


Precedent?


Well, those Chinese groups that funneled illegal cash to the DNC in the 90's! And then, coincidentally of course, Bill Clinton approved the transfer of satellite-launch technology to China, which probably improved the accuracy of their ICBMs. C'mon, that was a lot worse than taking money from Soros!


Uhm, yeah, that's pretty bad.


And what about the Clintons renting out the White House's Lincoln Bedroom to 800 donors like it was a Motel Six? You've got to admit, that was pretty cheesy, too.


Yes. Yes, I do.


HOWARD!!! You know those topics are off limits!! Cut the crap now, or I'm going to beat you like a rented mule!


Oops. Sorry. Can we erase that part of the transcript?


Hehe. Of course, we're 60 Minutes! You know our unspoken subtitle - This week in the DNC!

But, honestly, Howard, don't you feel the least bit guilty about taking money from Soros? Off the record, that is?


Give me a break, Kroft, we're Democrats!


Hat tip: Larwyn

Piping-hot good readin', just like Mama used to make:
Anchoress: Stem cell - and other news
Dr. Sanity: How to make sure you win an election, even if you lose
Hugh Hewitt: Mark Halperin - unplugged
STACLU: Faith under fire
Wizbang: Democrats - setting up for a loss

No comments: