Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Obamas: Proud to be ashamed of America

 
Michelle Obama reveals an unsettling insight into her husband's campaign.

What we've learned over this year is that hope is making a comeback. It is making a comeback, and let me tell you something, for the first time in my adult lifetime, I'm really proud of my country, and not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. And I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction and just not feeling so alone in my frustration and disappointment. I've seen people who are hungry to be unified around some basic, common issues, and it's made me proud.

* When the United States rebuilt Asia and Africa after the 2004 Tsunami? The Obamas were ashamed of America.

* When the United States invested $5 billion to combat AIDS and Malaria while building Democratic institutions and promoting economic growth in Africa? The Obamas were ashamed of America.

* When the United States liberated 50 million tortured souls from the twin scourges of Saddam Hussein and the Taliban? The Obamas were ashamed of America.

The list goes on and on. And Michelle Malkin's retort resonated with me.

I believe it was Michael Kinsley who quipped that a gaffe is when a politician tells the truth. In this case, it’s what happens when a Democrat politician’s wife says what a significant portion of the party’s base really believes.

Update: Charlie Foxtrot has a related slogan suggestion for John McCain.

No comments: