Friday, July 04, 2008

People who need to stop writing software


From Camen Design. My favorites:

ISPs - I pay you to put a cable in my house, and let me send things up and down it; no more. I don’t want your useless Anti-Virus products. I don’t want your “Desktop Help” applications. I don’t want your tray icons. I don’t want your proprietary browsers. I don’t want an email address with you. I don’t want your website as my home page (including a Google Search that only shows adverts).

Norton - Somewhere along the line, you decided to protect people from their own computer, rather than protect the computer itself. You have never once written a piece of software that didn't slow a machine down to a painful crawl. Every machine I have come across that has had Norton on it, has had a virus and multiple spywares still there. Your product is so bad, its own uninstaller does not work. You sell a false sense of security, nothing more.

Nokia, and other phone manufacturers - You seem to be under the impression that you are the only piece of software on the computer. You’re happy to rear your ugly face at every boot. You make a simple thing like syncing seem like surgery.Your software is so unweildy, it’d be easier to take up oragami.

nVidia and ATI - A graphics card driver drives the screen. It does not include a tray icon, that handily reminds you that you don’t have a SLI configuration everytime you boot. Your configuration options shouldn’t be so complex that I have to choose between a Basic and Advanced mode, both of which are as equally useless as each other.

Apple's Quicktime didn't make the list, but deserves to. Apple: I just want to play a video on a webpage somewhere. It happens to require Quicktime. I do not want a system tray icon (what in the name of Jerry Wozniak would I do with it anyhow?). I do not want free Quicktime offers. I do not want all of my preferences overwritten. I do not want a desktop icon. I just want to watch the freaking video!

Whew. That was cathartic.

No comments: