Senator Hillary Clinton issued the following statement on President Bush’s decision to commute the sentence of Scooter Libby:
|Today's decision is yet another example that this Administration simply considers itself above the law. This case arose from the Administration's politicization of national security intelligence and its efforts to punish those who spoke out against its policies. Four years into the Iraq war, Americans are still living with the consequences of this White House's efforts to quell dissent. This commutation sends the clear signal that in this Administration, cronyism and ideology trump competence and justice.|
Interesting perspective. Consider:
* In the waning days of the Clinton administration, Hillary's brother Hugh Rodham collected "nearly $400,000 for helping secure a pardon and a prison commutation for two clients."
* Bill Clinton issued 396 pardons and 61 commutations during his administration.
* Clinton's National Security Advisor -- Sandy Berger -- destroyed classified documents related to terrorist attacks in the US. He had access to National Security Council (NSC) numbered documents, printed copies of e-mails, and staff member office files (SMOFs), which contained original documents.
* Time Magazine headline: Sources: Ex-Wife of Pardoned Fugitive Gave $400,000 to Clinton Library.
* Washington Post headline: Livingstone Resigns, Denying Ill Intent - "The Clinton White House's beleaguered director of personnel security, Craig Livingstone, announced his resignation yesterday, saying he took responsibility for the unjustified collection of FBI files on hundreds of Republicans."
* Quote: "The fact that she can make a statement like this on this particular subject with a straight face represents more proof that Mrs Clinton is a pure sociopath.... absolutely and utterly devoid of conscience."
* Quote: "Four complete sentences. Four complete lies."