The nuclear physicists who run the Seattle Post-Intelligencer have decided to accelerate their campaign for impeachment. It seems to be a strategic element of management's stewardship, which has resulted in the loss of 40% of the paper's subscribers in the last decade.
Illustration accompanying Linda Bat-Boyd's Seattle P-I Op-Ed
Actually, Linda Bat-Boyd lays out her case for impeachment brilliantly:
Impeachment is squarely on the table, and momentum is building. A year ago, almost no elected official breathed the word impeachment. Now impeachment has hit the House floor, and our electeds have gone on record. Millions of Americans are demanding an end to executive abuse of power.
After six years of state of emergency, the Patriot Act, the Military Commissions Act, continual war and occupations, our Constitution is deeply in crisis. Americans are in danger of losing our system of government and civil rights if they do not roll back the Bush administration's assault on the rule of law.
Yes, momentum is building, only it's to have you forcibly committed to a local mental health facility, Linda.
Of course, Linda fails to describe a single instance of said abuses. Consider her "slamdunk" case:
The First, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Eighth and Fourteenth Amendments are all now subject to the caprice of government officials. The Military Commissions Act allows U.S. citizens to be detained without due process if they are declared enemy combatants. Without our permission, this country has become an exporter of torture.
One teensy, weensy little problem, Linda: you've failed to mention even one real instance of abuse. That's because you can't. Even the so-called instances of "torture" by American troops -- the controversial cases of non-lethal waterboarding -- are actually practiced by our armed forces on themselves.
As ABC's News Blotter reported earlier this month:
For all the debate over waterboarding, it has been used on only three al Qaeda figures...
The most effective use of waterboarding, according to current and former CIA officials, was in breaking Khalid Sheikh Mohammed [KSM], who subsequently confessed to a number of ongoing plots against the United States... A senior CIA official said KSM later admitted it was only because of the waterboarding that he talked.
Ultimately, KSM took responsibility for the 9/ll attacks and virtually all other al Qaeda terror strikes, including the beheading of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl...
But Linda Moonboyd doesn't care about beheadings. After all... it's not torture, it's just murder. As for the Al-Qaeda Torture Manual, well, that doesn't count. They're misguided "minutemen," I suppose.
And as for "lying us into war" or "manipulating intelligence": Hillary Clinton saw the same intelligence that that the President and VP saw... and voted for war. Should we impeach Hillary as well?
Don't recall what Madeline Albright, Nancy Pelosi, Robert Byrd, Ted Kennedy, Jay Rockefeller, Bill Clinton, Al Gore, and John Kerry said before and after the invasion of Iraq? Our super-fantabulous stop-action photo gallery takes you into the way-back machine to revisit all of the Dems' hi-larious hi-jinks in glorious MoonbatVision™!
If anyone needed to be impeached, it was Bill Clinton and not for the reason he was actually impeached. The Progressive Review recaps the unbelievable track record of wrongdoing by the Clinton Regime:
- The only president ever impeached on grounds of personal malfeasance
- Most number of convictions and guilty pleas by friends and associates*
- Most number of cabinet officials to come under criminal investigation
- Most number of witnesses to flee country or refuse to testify
- Most number of witnesses to die suddenly
- First president sued for sexual harassment.
- First president accused of rape.
- First first lady to come under criminal investigation
- Largest criminal plea agreement in an illegal campaign contribution case
- First president to establish a legal defense fund.
- First president to be held in contempt of court
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions from abroad
- First president disbarred from the US Supreme Court and a state court
- Number of individuals and businesses associated with the Clinton machine who have been convicted of or pleaded guilty to crimes: 47
- Number of these convictions during Clinton's presidency: 33
- Number of indictments/misdemeanor charges: 61
- Number of congressional witnesses who have pleaded the Fifth Amendment, fled the country to avoid testifying, or (in the case of foreign witnesses) refused to be interviewed: 122
The number of times that Clinton figures who testified in court or before Congress said that they didn't remember, didn't know, or something similar during the many, various investigations: Bill Kennedy 116, Harold Ickes 148, Ricki Seidman 160, Bruce Lindsey 161, Bill Burton 191, Mark Gearan 221, Mack McLarty 233, Neil Egglseston 250, Hillary Clinton 250, Bill Clinton 267, John Podesta 264, Jennifer O'Connor 343, Dwight Holton 348, Patsy Thomasson 420, Jeff Eller 697.
- FBI files misappropriated by the White House: c. 900
- Estimated number of witnesses quoted in FBI files misappropriated by the White House: 18,000
- Number of witnesses who developed medical problems at critical points in Clinton scandals investigation (Tucker, Hale, both McDougals, Lindsey): 5
- Problem areas listed in a memo by Clinton's own lawyer in preparation for the president's defense: 40
- Number of witnesses and critics of Clinton subjected to IRS audit: 45
- Number of names placed in a White House secret database without the knowledge of those named: c. 200,000
- Number of women involved with Clinton who claim to have been physically threatened (Sally Perdue, Gennifer Flowers, Kathleen Willey, Linda Tripp, Elizabeth Ward Gracen, Juantia Broaddrick): 6
Of course, let's not even delve into the Chinagate Missiles-for-Money Scandal, the still-redacted Barrett Report, and still-redacted Cox Report for other corruption (or perhaps even treason) investigations that were "stone-walled" and/or censored by the Clintons' lawyers.
Or Pardongate, in which Presidential pardons and commutations were seemingly traded like baseball cards... but for large sums of cash instead.
Or the litany of terrorist attacks sustained by US and Allied interests under the Clinton Regime without even a semblance of a plan to combat extremists and their state supporters.
Dear Linda, those are the sorts of thing that you can use for real grounds for impeachment. Not a demented fantasy world, for which you can point to no real instance of abuse of power. Now get back on your meds and stop bothering the working folks..
Postscript: Linda Bat-Boyd is allegedly a Washingon state senator and is director of Washingtonians For Impeachment: FlamingTreasonousWashingtonMoonbats.org; Citizens to Impeach George and Hillary Cheney: www.IAintPlayingWithAFullDeck.org; and Progressive Morons for a Better Seattle: moron.org.