Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Politics o' personal destruction: Hillary's scandalous Obama info

 
So my Dad is in for Thanksgiving and he offered an interesting insight related to Robert Novak's disclosure. You know, that Hillary staffers are keeping a scandalous secret about Barack Obama close to the vest:

Agents of Sen. Hillary Clinton are spreading the word in Democratic circles that she has scandalous information about her principal opponent for the party’s presidential nomination, Sen. Barack Obama, but has decided not to use it. The nature of the alleged scandal was not disclosed.

My Dad noted that only hours later, Sen. Obama admitted a sordid past related to drinking and drugs.

The venue was quite unexpected: in front of a large group of high school students.

Obama addressed the issue after the principal at Central High School in Manchester, N.H., asked the Democratic presidential candidate to give the students a sense of his "human side," and what his life was like when he was in school...

In response..., the Illinois senator said: "I will confess to you that I was kind of a goof-off in high school ... I made some bad decisions that I've written about. There were times when I got into drinking and experimented with drugs ... There was a whole stretch of time when I didn't really apply myself a lot."

Why would Obama offer that disclosure then? Why there? My Dad's speculation is that Hillary's rough-and-tumble political operatives are fully prepared to launch some devastating salvos related to Obama's past.

Update: Vince Foster at NHC has other interesting ideas about Novak's column.

No comments: