Dr. Rusty Shackleford at The Jawa Report has the must-read story of the week. It would appear that several federal election laws have been broken and that none other than David Axelrod appears to be behind an "astroturf" campaign against Sarah Palin. Read the whole thing (Dan Riehl has the executive summary).
Extensive research was conducted by the Jawa Report to determine the source of smears directed toward Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin. Those smears included false allegations that she belonged to a secessionist political party and that she has radical anti-American views.
Our research suggests that a subdivision of one of the largest public relations firms in the world most likely started and promulgated rumors about Sarah Palin that were known to be false. These rumors were spread in a surreptitious manner to avoid exposure.
[Ed: also known as "Astroturfing"]
It is also likely that the PR firm was paid by outside sources to run the smear campaign. While not conclusive, evidence suggests a link to the Barack Obama campaign. Namely:
* Evidence suggests that a YouTube video with false claims about Palin was uploaded and promoted by members of a professional PR firm.
* The family that runs the PR firm has extensive ties to the Democratic Party, the netroots, and are staunch Obama supporters.
* Evidence suggests that the firm engaged in a concerted effort to distribute the video in such a way that it would appear to have gone viral on its own. Yet this effort took place on company time.
* Evidence suggests that these distribution efforts included actions by at least one employee of the firm who is unconnected with the family running the company.
* The voice-over artist used in this supposedly amateur video is a professional.
* This same voice-over artist has worked extensively with David Axelrod's firm, which has a history of engaging in phony grassroots efforts, otherwise known as "astroturfing."
* David Axelrod is Barack Obama's chief media strategist.
* The same voice-over artist has worked directly for the Barack Obama campaign.
Using the same research tactics they've employed in tracking terrorist supporters online, the Jawa team deconstructed the professionally organized campaign of lies aimed at destroying Sarah Palin's candidacy.
A related note: on 9/2, I noted that the same Palin slime chain mail had been posted in hundreds of forums simultaneously. It was an obviously orchestrated campaign.
Gosh, I wonder who could've been behind that sort of thing? Could it have been hopey, changey-type folks?
Linked by: Gateway Pundit. Thanks!