Tuesday, November 25, 2008
Democrats have a plan to stimulize the economy
The. Best. Congress. Ever. Just laid out a clear picture of their agenda.
• Adding in the Citi bailout, the total cost of the bailout is roughly $4.6 trillion dollars. Or, as Barry Ritzholtz has calculated, more than what the country spent on the Marshall Plan, the Louisiana Purchase, the Race to the Moon, the Savings and Loan debacle, the Korean War, the New Deal, the Invasion of Iraq, the Vietnam War and NASA... combined... and all adjusted for inflation.
But don't worry, Robert Rubin -- senior transition adviser to president-elect Obama -- is on the case.
Wait a second... isn't that the same Robert Rubin who works for Citibank? And who would benefit from the bailout dough? The same Robert Rubin who mentored Treasury secretary designate Tim Geithner? No problem, Rahm Emmanuel -- former head of Freddie Mac -- is a senior staffer for Obama so I'm pretty sure nothing can go wrong.
• Remember those 68 million acres of land Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) said the oil companies had to "use or lose"? The oil companies just lost 'em -- because some eco-Nazis just blocked a major drilling operation, presumably in order to save a plankton from going homeless. In other words, Democrats lied.
• So far, Democrats have also blocked: the development of new sources of petroleum, exploration in ANWR, exploration off the coast of Florida, exploration off of the east coast, exploration off of the west coast, exploration off of the Alaskan coast, building new refineries, building clean coal plants, and clean nuclear energy production. They are, however, in favor of harnessing wind power and unicorn farts, which should make up for the shortfall.
• How about legalizing illegal immigration? Harry Reid (D-NV) says there's another monumentally craptastic program on the way: "I don't expect much of a fight at all [on immigration this time]." Legalizing illegal stuff seems like a good way to go for Congress.
• As for freeing terrorists - Democrats can do! As a precursor to closing Gitmo Salim Hamdan, Osama's driver and bodyguard, is being dispatched to his native country of Yemen. I heard Dick Durbin (D-IL) insisted we return the surface-to-air missiles he was transporting when he was illegally captured.
• Bringing back Franklin Raines to run Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, along with the Federal Reserve? Yup.
Just kidding about that last one.
Wouldn't surprise me though.
All of this stuff courtesy of Larwyn. Linked by: Jules Crittenden. Thanks!
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment