Background:On November 8th, Issue 2 will be on the ballot in Ohio.Very simply, the decision Ohio voters will be making is as follows:
A YES vote allows Governor Kasich’s collective bargaining reform (SB 5) to go into effect A NO vote essentially returns collective bargaining power to the unions and puts the state of Ohio into further economic uncertainty.Unions are spending millions to defeat Issue 2 and right now, it appears (based on polls) they are winning.Why it’s important:Ohio is a big battleground state.If the unions win, they will be emboldened going into 2012. A loss for them will be a huge setback.Pre-market meltdown, Ohio had $46.5 billion in unfunded liabilities (retiree pension and healthcare). It is higher now.What is needed:For ye Twitter gods:
- Tweets to encourage people to GOTV
- Tweets on Issue 2 related posts (see below), with a push to GOTV
- Phone banking: Building for a Better Ohio has info here to help: http://betterohio.org/volunteercentersPosts (as/if you have time)Frankly, at this point, anything urging GOTV is crucial.However, for background, Jason Hart has been doing a phenomenal job writing on the topic. Here is his twitter acct. [Even RT'ing his posts would be good.]Here are some posts Jason’s, et al) that you may find useful:
- ‘Yes’ to all three questions on Ohio’s statewide ballot | cleveland.com : http://goo.gl/Teo5H
- Ohio: Issue 2, Collective Bargaining and the Moral High Ground: http://goo.gl/0OB88
- OEA Employee: “OEA’s attitude is about power” : http://goo.gl/kvoVV
- Chart: We Are Ohio Funding : http://goo.gl/Jx1sM
- Union Bosses Use Soldiers as Props: http://goo.gl/2sq56
- NEA Attacks Ohio Union Reform: http://goo.gl/N13hC
- The Truth About Senate Bill 5 : http://goo.gl/UtidG
- With Each Ohio Citizen Owing Government Workers $6150, Union Bosses Urge A Return To Cannibalism: http://goo.gl/iTtJaThis is a good resource (if you need background):Again, since this will likely have an impact on 2012, the more you can do the better.
Remember, the election is on November 8th.
Time is running out.