Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Just One of Millions for Whom the Apology Tour Was a Slap in the Face

This is my grandfather, who served twice in the U.S Navy, first in the 1920s and then again during World War II. The picture below is Grandpa on Guam in 1945. He served on the destroyer the USS Ellet. At right is one of his ribbon commendations after a series of actions including the Battle of the Philippines, the invasion of Guam and Saipan.

My Dad told me that the Ellet had a proud history including involvement with the Doolittle Raid, the Battle of the Coral Sea, Guadalcanal, and later Iwo Jima. The Ellet also survived a near-miss from a Kamikaze and rescued several ships that had hit mines later in the war.


Remembering the men and women of the Greatest Generation -- my grandfather and millions more -- who risked their lives to defend the world against fascist, totalitarian ideologies -- well, folks, it just turns my stomach to hear our current president not just apologize for, but actually insult, America over and over again. And then lie on national television about it this past Monday.

We deserve better. Our children deserve better. And we get one last chance to set things right on November 6th. I will walk barefoot on broken glass to get to the ballot box. I hope you will join me.


2 comments:

sTevo said...

I had the pleasure of talking to a 90yr old vet at the airport today. I asked him about is crew hat and we talked for 30 minutes.

Later he was part of the Mercury program and also worded for McDonald Douglas.

He said America is covered in Shit with the clown occupying the White House.

Bones said...

When all is said and done there is one question to ask yourself:

Which party is more likely to take away some of your freedom?