- Jonathan H. Adler, Case Western University School of Law
- Neal Katyal and Paul Clement, Harvard Law Review
- Randy Barnett, Georgetown University School of Law
- Congressional Research Service: "Natural born" citizenship means citizenship held "at birth" (PDF)
- Laurence Tribe, Harvard Law School (who argued in 2008 for John McCain that "children born abroad to U.S. citizens are themselves U.S. citizens",” and that this is sufficient to establish that an individual is a “natural born” citizen eligible to be president); the Washington Post observes that Tribe's confusion about Cruz's eligilibity is "inconsistent."
- Michael Ramsey, Center for the Study of Constitutional Originalism at the University of San Diego School of Law
- Andrew C. McCarthy, former assistant U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York
- Alan Dershowitz, Harvard Law School
- Eugene Volokh, UCLA School of Law
- Mark R. Levin, President of Landmark Legal Foundation
- William A. Jacobson, Cornell University Law School
- Ilya Shapiro, Editor-in-chief of the Cato Supreme Court Review
- David A. Graham, The Atlantic
- Akhil Reed Amar, CNN
As Jim Geraghty observes, the Cruz Birther issue:
...is, of course, [Trump's] doing. Because he is unable to engage Cruz (or anyone else on stage) on matters of actual substance, he’s mongered conspiracy under the pretext that Democrats were going to do it anyway. It doesn’t seem to matter to Trump or to his supporters that his legal opinion on the subject was wildly different just four months ago...
Oh, and as for the lawsuit issue, please recall that crackpots have been suing Barack Obama since 2008 over his eligibility. I wonder how that's working out for them?
And: "Several citizens filed lawsuits asking the court to rule on whether McCain was a natural born citizen early in 2008, but the legal challenges didn’t go anywhere."
And let's recall Cruz's response during the Fox Business debate.
Ted Cruz vs. Birther Question ---> pic.twitter.com/YgRoYOmNYw— Benny (@bennyjohnson) January 15, 2016
Please forward this post on to the Cruz birther on your mailing list. And then raise both your hands.
Hat tip: BadBlue Real-Time News