If they can spare a few minutes between attacks on Mitt Romney, perhaps NPR's Ari Shapiro and CBS News' Jan Crawford can take time to examine some of the bigger issues. Namely, the utter failure of "The Obama Doctrine" -- whatever it may be -- as the Middle East erupts in Islamist-fueled chaos and Iran's nuclear-tipped missiles near readiness.
There were plenty of warnings: Days before 9/11, Jihadi groups in Egypt threatened to burn down the U.S. Embassy in Cairo.
• Missing a week of PDB meetings: Despite these warnings and the run-up to the 9/11 anniversary, President Obama skipped a week of President Daily Brief (PDB) meetings
• Sleeping through the 3am phone call: Notified that Ambassador Stevens was missing from the Bengazi compound, President Obama went to sleep.
• Jay-Z and Beyonce take priority: In the midsdt of the conflagration, including pictures circulating worldwide of Ambassador Stevens being dragged through the streets of Bengazi, President Obama headed to... Las Vegas for a $40,000-a-head celebrity fundraiser.
• Who approved the State Department's apology?: While the president claimed yesterday that the Embassy issued its apology without his approval, Senator James Inhofe stated on Fox News this morning that the president absolutely approved the statement prior to its release on the web and on Twitter.
• President Obama condemned Mitt Romney's criticisms of the State Department apology before he criticized the attacks themselves.
• No Live Ammo: U.S. Marines were not permitted by the Obama administration to have live ammo at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo.
• Even after Benghazi Consulate attacked in June, no additional security was added: despite an IED detonating at the Benghazi facility, the administration failed to tighten security, leaving it instead up to their Libyan hosts. Reports indicate that these same Libyan security personnel were involved with the attack that left the Ambassador and other U.S. personnel dead.
• The President has refused a meeting with the Israeli Prime Minister, but will find time to appear on the David Letterman Show. In addition, Obama invited the President of Egypt (leader of the Muslim Brotherhood) to meet next week at the U.N. while repudiating Israel's leader's request to meet that same week.
Just a little career advice for Ms. Crawford and Mr. Shapiro: if you want to resurrect your careers (which now, officially, languish in laughingstock territory), perhaps a little focus on America's national security interests -- which is what this story is really about -- rather than Mitt Romney's political persuasion might help.