• "The Jewish lobby intimidates a lot of people up here."
• "I'm a United States Senator, not an Israeli Senator."
• In 2006, Mr. Hagel described Israel's war against Hezbollah as "the systematic destruction of an American friend, the country and people of Lebanon."
• In 2007, he voted against designating Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps as a terrorist organization.
• In 2009, Mr. Hagel urged the Obama administration to open direct talks with Hamas.
• In 2008, Mr. Hagel and John Kerry co-authored an op-ed in this newspaper titled "It's Time to Talk to Syria."
• "The United States and Israel must understand that it is not in their long-term interests to allow themselves to become isolated in the Middle East and the world," he said in a 2006 Senate speech. It's a political Deep Thought worthy of Saturday Night Live's Jack Handey. Does Mr. Hagel reckon any other nation to be quite so blind to its own supposed self-interest as Israel?
I don't think we've ever had a SECDEF with such a, eh, predilection for terrorists before. But, then again, this administration is historic.