Saturday, December 12, 2009

Amazon Kindle FAIL: This is precisely what I was afraid of

Argh! This is exactly the kind of thing I feared with the Amazon Kindle. Yes, it's convenient. Yes, if you're a heavy traveler and an equally heavy reader, it's probably indispensable.

But what the hell do you do when the screen fails?

Notice the discolored band near the top of the 'digital ink'-based screen. That appeared this morning as a permanent reminder that a bunch of finicky electrons hold the keys to a dozen of my books.

I guess I won't be getting rid of these anytime soon.

And I hear that when the SHTF, they'll be worth some serious coin.

At the rate these Democrats are spending, we don't have long to wait.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

My empathy.

What you do is call Kindle Customer Service at 866-321-8851 and they'll send you a replacement with a couple of days.

Good luck! I would hate that too. So far I've been lucky and have travelled a lot with mine.

Unknown said...

That should have been 'within' a couple of days.

Your books from Amazon will have to be re-downloaded from either the manageyourkindle page at Amazon or by clicking on the books in the 'archive' folder on the new Kindle.

While your current Kindle still functions, please backup all your non-Amazon personal files to your computer so you can copy them across to the new Kindle. (From and into the 'documents' folder of the Kindle.)

- Andrys
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com

directorblue said...

Thanks Andrys, I will follow up with them.

odiextian said...

I got my own kindle using the service at www.amzpricesniper.com. It watched the Amazon inventory and the moment Amazon received fresh inventory at the regular retail price this obnoxious alarm went off.