Tuesday, April 17, 2012

New look for the BadBlue conservative news service

If you've only recently returned to Earth after being kidnapped by aliens, you may have missed January's introduction of BadBlue.com.

BadBlue helps you discover the hottest stories from center-right news sources, ranging from new media behemoths like Hot Air and The Blaze, to major league blogs like Instapundit and Michelle Malkin, to lesser-known new media outlets like the Free Beacon and CDN, to even small, up-and-coming blogs like Alexa Shrugged and Hoosier Access.

BadBlue doesn't have any human editors. Only the "buzz" a story gets on the social networks will promote it to the front page. Furthermore, BadBlue has no political agenda. It monitors nearly 600 sites, 24 by 7, to make sure you don't miss a thing. You can also use the tabs on the top of the page to review the most popular stories for the last 24 hours, the last week, or even the last month.


In any event, this weekend, we upgraded the cosmetics of the site based upon several concerns we'd heard expressed. The background should be a bit easier on the eyes. And the default typeface (Georgia, 14-point) was selected based upon a study produced by the Software Usability Research Lab. If you don't like the size of the font, use the buttons at top right to adjust up or down.

The idea behind BadBlue is to promote stories based upon merit, not the whims of editors, and -- best of all -- to bypass the filters that old media still tries to enforce. So check out BadBlue, if you would, and let us know what you think in the comments!

6 comments:

Diogenes Sarcastica™ said...

Excellent!

Anonymous said...

The site is in one of my 30 always open tabs in Opera.

I find problems with columns resizing at times, and wish that the site would hilight more stories than it does, sometimes nothing new is added for hours, but overall it ranks well with me.

BC said...

Doug you ask me to put you up on 'Conservativethe Blogs Central' a few years back, which I did. Now I am a little pooch lipped because when I emailed you with a request to put up my new blog im41.com you ignored my email.

I would love to help promote bad blue, but think it would be a lot better if you would give us medium sized bloggers a shot at competing with the content in your system.

I think you might be surprised at how we do.

directorblue said...

@ConBC --- to be perfectly frank, I could easily have missed the email regarding im41. Not a good reason, for sure, but it happens. I'll check it out. Thx

BC said...

I miss emails all of the time -- I guess I could have worded that better. I was trying to be humorous but forgot to put a smiley face on the end and come off like an ass.

That is the danger of trying to communicate with text and a cell phone.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Bad Blue! It looks so much better........easier to read now. I go there before Drudge, though this site is my all time favorite. Sharon

Ps. I'd like to thank you for correcting the older/previous pages and the icon on bookmarks....absolutely made my day!