Friday, July 22, 2011

Time to reach 20 million users...

Google+ reaches 20 million users in only three weeks?

"I've never seen anything grow this quickly," said Andrew Lipsman, vice president of industry analysis at comScore. The only other site that has accumulated as many new visitors in a short period of time is Twitter in 2009, he said, "but that happened over several months."

...Of course, Google has a long way to go to reach the scale of Facebook Inc., which has more than 750 million users, and Twitter Inc., which has more than 200 million registered accounts...

...Google+ also has unique technology, such as a "hangouts" feature, that lets people do "video chats" using their computer webcams, speaking to numerous friends simultaneously. The company plans to include Google+ in its suite of online software for businesses...

Google's ability to group users is a decided advantage over Facebook. Whether it has legs, however, is an open question.


4 comments:

Zilla said...

I joined the Google + at a friend's invitation the other day, I'm still trying to figure out how to use it, but I must admit I haven't tried very hard yet. Seems like another good way to promote my blog and other projects though, once I learn how to use it porperly. So far all I've done is give +1 to blog posts that I like which have the button for it. Unfortunately I do not know how to get a button on my own blog, and I don't see it here on yours either. I guess I'll just have to keep telling everyone to go visit Doug Ross because he's awesome the old fashioned way.
Are you on it yet?
I'm Zilla Stevenson there.

Robert said...

I hate all these popular social networking sites filled with narcissistic dopes. they won't ever get me on that ahole grid.

the more the herd baa's and flocks, the more I head the other way.

anacardo said...

well, taking into account that MOST of these users were people who already had a gmail/google account...it doesn't surprise me. It's like saying that Google Calendar has reached 20 million users. I would like to see figures of NEW google accounts created just because of G+

MOTUS said...

Doug: As you know, I'm not a "narcissistic dope", butt I do play one on the intertubes, so I have +1'd you! Full disclosure, Zilla was my first +1.

I don't know much about +1 either, butt my tech support is efforting it. I was advised that there is a teeny script that you can add to your template to install the +1 on your site, butt Raj is currently busy upgrading TOTUS to help Big Guy "lead like a leader."

For now, I'll just follow the herd and +1 my favorites when I see them!