This is a radical break from journalistic convention, I realize, but today I'd like to give credit where it's due -- specifically, to President Obama. Quiet as it's kept, he's on a genuine winning streak... look at what he's accomplished in just the past few weeks. Let me highlight four recent headlines:
"Last U.S. combat troops leave Iraq" ... [Without thanking Bush 43 for the surge he opposed]
"General Motors to launch stock offering" ... [Another union payoff]
"Gulf oil spill contained" ... [With 23,000 unnecessary job losses]
"President wades into mosque controversy" ... [On the wrong side, as usual]
He still hasn't walked on water, though. What's wrong with the man?
Back in the little land we like to call "Reality", Americans are suffering. In the nearly four years that the Pelosi-Obama-Reid Democrats have held Congress, the private sector has disappeared faster than a sack of Chips Ahoy in front of Rosie O'Donnell.
The Democrats have given us:
* Three straight years of job losses, an unemployment rate that has more than doubled to nearly 10%, and a true (U-6) underemployment rate of nearly 18%;
* A national debt that has ballooned to over $13 trillion, a catastrophic increase of 60%;
* A $787 (now $860) billion pork-, bribe- and boondoggle-laden "stimulus" bill, which not only failed to stimulate the economy, but helped bankrupt the country;
* Record high home foreclosures that the American taxpayer is on the hook for thanks to the Democrats' favorite job shops: Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac;
* Another "jobs bill" that cost taxpayers $18 billion, yet created no "jobs"... along with a $26 billion "teachers' jobs bill" that simply kicks the fiscal responsibility can down the road and rewards the AFT and NEA teachers' unions;
* The $700 billion TARP bill to bailout banks that couldn't balance their books; and...
* The 2,000+ page health care takeover bill, which leaves the American taxpayer on the hook for another $2.6 trillion to pay for this new "entitlement."
Yes, Americans are grateful for the work of the Obama Democrats. Stimulus. TARP. ObamaCare. $200 million in Stimulus
Eugene Robinson's latest excretion does prove one point:
WaPo's management team needs to start random drug-testing.