In an extraordinary outburst on the House floor, Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) invoked the Holocaust to attack Republicans on health care and compared rhetoric on the issue to the work of infamous Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels.
“They say it’s a government takeover of health care, a big lie just like Goebbels,” Cohen said. “You say it enough, you repeat the lie, you repeat the lie, and eventually, people believe it. Like blood libel. That’s the same kind of thing. And Congressman Cohen didn’t stop there.
“The Germans said enough about the Jews and people believed it–believed it and you have the Holocaust. We heard on this floor, government takeover of health care. Politifact said the biggest lie of 2010 was a government takeover of health care because there is no government takeover,” Cohen said.
Gee, schmuck, you mean lies like these?
• If you like your current health care plan, you can keep it.
• Your premiums will go down an average of $2,500 a year.
• Health care reform will help businesses.
• Health care reform won’t add 'a single dime' to the deficit—and will actually cut it!
• Ninety-five percent of Americans will not see any form of tax increase because of Obamacare.
• There will be no government rationing of medical care!
• Obamacare will not allow for funding of abortions with taxpayer money.
• Health care negotiations will occur in public and will even be seen on CSpan.
Now, was someone talking about a comparison to Goebbels?