Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Harry Reid Throughout History

After Harry Reid's egregious 2007 statement concerning the Surge in Iraq ("This war is lost!"), I decided to do a little genealogical research. My question: how had some of Reid's more obscure ancestors behaved during previous military engagements?

Revolutionary War: Jebediah Reid, commenting on Valley Forge: "But, General Washington, this war is lost, I can most assuredly promise you. General Cornwallis will treat us with dignity if we only raise the white flag now. And it's awfully cold out here."

The War of 1812: Jethro Reid, speaking to William Henry Harrison: "Tippecanoe and surrender, too, my dear Governor Harrison!"

Civil War: Benedict Reid at Gettysburg: "Four score and seven years, my a**! This war was lost three frickin' years ago!"

Spanish-American War: Desdemona Reid: "Remember the Maine... after we surrender! ¿Se Habla Español?"

World War I: Nebuchadnezzar Reid comments upon military actions in the Argonne Forest: "Over there! Over there! We are losing badly over there!"

Pearl Harbor: 'Stubby' Reid: "Do you see? Do you see?? How can we possibly fight the Imperial Japanese war machine? This war is over!"

War of the Worlds: Harry Reid, expressing concern over resistance to an alien invasion: "It's pointless to fight these beasts! We must surrender immediately to survive! And I, for one, welcome my new alien overlords!"


No comments: